Weather and Delay Policies
Determining Your Flight’s Status
If your flight is delayed or cancelled due to weather or any other circumstance, you will be notified by Team BLADE via email, text, phone, or in-app notification. You may also see your flight’s status by viewing Your Upcoming Trips.
Would you like to cancel your flight? See Flight Cancellation Policies.
Delays – Due to Weather or Other Circumstance
From time to time, your flight may be delayed due to weather, unforeseen mechanical issues, temporary flight restrictions, and airport congestion. If your flight is cancelled or delayed, you will be notified by Team BLADE via email, text, phone, or in-app notification. You may also see your flight’s status by viewing Your Upcoming Trips.
- When you would be notified of changes to your flight: BLADE will notify you of any delays or cancellations due to weather at least one hour prior to your scheduled departure time. For flights scheduled to depart prior to 10:00am on Monday mornings, BLADE shall send notifications of weather delays or cancellations no later than 9:00pm on the preceding night.
- Excessive Delays: In the event any Flight in excess of 50 miles is delayed more than 2 hours – or, for flights departing from the Hamptons to New York City on Monday mornings, 1 hour – you have the option of 1) booking on a different flight at no additional charge or 2) cancelling your flight and receiving BLADE credit. BLADE’s Cancellation Policy outlined in Section 7 of the Terms of Service shall apply to anyone cancelling their tickets on a Flight delayed less than 2 hours.
- Moving to other aircraft: In order to minimize the passenger impact of cancellations and delays due to weather, unforeseen mechanical events, temporary flight restrictions and airport congestion, BLADE may reassign you to a different aircraft than the type on which you originally purchased your ticket. Such reassignments may include moving between helicopters, seaplane and turboprop aircraft. If for any reason you decline to accept the alternate aircraft, BLADE will credit your Account for the originally-purchased fare.
- Flights rescheduled for an earlier departure time: If BLADE has to move your flight to a time earlier than your scheduled departure time due to weather, unforeseen mechanical issues or Temporary Flight Restrictions and you are unable to make the newly scheduled flight, BLADE will credit your Account for the originally-purchased fare.
- For more details: See the Delays section of the Terms of Service.
Factors Determining Weather Cancelations or Delays
There are several factors in the decision of whether a flight will be canceled or delayed due to inclement weather:
- Aircraft Type – Each type of aircraft has different inclement weather-flying capabilities.
- VFR Helicopter (A-Star, Xcel, Agusta) – Helicopters operating under Visual Flight Rules can operate when the cloud ceiling is over 1,500ft and visibility is greater than 3mi along the entire flight path.
- IFR Helicopter (Sikorsky) – Helicopters operating under Instrument Flight Rules can operate when the cloud ceiling is over 500-1,000ft along the entire flight path, subject to Air Traffic Control delays.
- Seaplanes (Aqua, Aqua Xcel) – Seaplanes have greater flexibility when taking off in inclement weather and have a lesser chance of weather cancellations than helicopter flights during the morning—especially given how common fog is at that time.
- Pilot’s Decision – Ultimately it is up to the pilot to make the call on flight safety.
- Thunder – Thunderstorms can be unpredictable. Sometimes they can be circumvented, but it is up to the pilot.
- Weather Along Entire Flight Path – Sometimes weather will look fine at the origin and destination but it’s also important to consider the weather in the flight path. If there is weather along the flight path sometimes the aircraft can fly around it, sometimes it can divert to a different destination, and sometimes the flight may be canceled altogether.
About Weather Insurance Upgrades
Weather Insurance. Weather Insurance is available as an upgrade for purchase on select routes. If you choose to add Weather Insurance, in the event of a weather cancellation, you can opt to receive a full credit card refund rather than BLADE credits to your Account.
This upgrade is recommended for international or occasional BLADE travelers, who may not have the opportunity to utilize Blade credits.
Weather Insurance Terms:
- If you have purchased Weather Insurance and your flight is canceled due to weather and you prefer a credit card refund instead of BLADE credits, please call Flier Relations at 844-FLY-BLADE andBLADE will refund your fare.
- the credit card refund amount is based on the entire value of the order – flight price, taxes, upgrades (excluding Weather Insurance upgrade).
- Credit card refunds are applicable to purchases made using credit cards only. It is not applicable to flights purchased withBLADE Credits or Gift Cards.
- Weather Insurance must be added during checkout, it cannot be added after you purchase your flight.
- Weather Insurance can only be added to flights departing more than 48 hours from time of purchase.